Pages

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Coworkers with God


I’m talking about Eckanar. The name apparently means, "coworker with God".

There is a guy on my local public access TV station who I fear is suffering from a major mental illness of some sort. He basically says, “the light and sound of God,” over and over and over for the entire program. I’m serious. I guess he didn’t read the Wikipedia entry that says they don’t proselytize.

This prompted me to look into this religion. It seems to be some sort of New Age group formed in the 60s.

Basically they seem to believe in soul travel, planes of existence, yadda yadda. I think they believe their teachings originate with aliens. Yawn. Mixed in are some random teachings from Indian religions. Yawn again.

One of its leaders was named Darwin, hahaha, irony. He was apparently asked to step down from his position and now is an outspoken former member, though he has been accused of misappropriating Eckankar funds.

I wonder what it's like to be God's coworker. I'll bet he never steals your lunch from the fridge or turns the AC too low, but it's a bitch to compete with Him for promotions.

No comments:

Post a Comment